The silica gel bags we often find in shoe boxes usually end up in the trash, just because we believe they’re completely useless and even toxic.
However, the truth is that they are not poisonous whatsoever. Rather, they are filled with a substance called silicon dioxide which should not be eaten but can be very useful around the house. They’re a non-toxic inert desiccant that will dry out anything around them. Here’s how you can use them:
1. Put Them in Your Gym BagThe main purpose of these little packets is to absorb any extra moisture and protect the item they are added to from growing bacteria or mold. Bacteria thrive in damp and moist environments so adding one of these guys to your gym bag will eliminate dampness and germs thus freshening it up. They can even remove a very foul odor.
2. Put Them Between TowelsPrevent your towels from getting damp and smelling unpleasant by putting a few of these in the towel cabinet.
3. Make Your Razors Last LongerInstead of leaving your razor around in the bath where it’s always wet put it in a plastic container with a few silica bags inside. It will make it last longer.
4. Save Your Drowned PhoneIf you happen to drop your phone in water and it gets wet, don’t lose hope! Instead of putting it in a jar of rice try the same with silica bags. Fill a jar with them and put your mobile in, it will be much more effective.
5. No More Foggy Car WindowsI absolutely adore this one, since foggy car windows cause me a lot of problems especially in this damp weather season. This goes to all you drivers out there; it’s a true lifesaver in the winter. Instead of waiting for your windows to defog, which in older car models can take forever, put a bunch of these silica gel bags under your windshield from the inside immediately. You’ll see that tomorrow your windows won’t be foggy. It’s the fastest way to stop your windows from fogging up and you’ll save yourself the 10 extra minutes needed to clean them up.
6. Save Your Old PhotosOld photos usually deteriorate with time, which is really sad because they are the sole reminders of our past and are quite dear to our hearts. Put a couple of silica gel bags in your box of old photos to save them from the dampness that can ruin them.
7. Save Your Make UpEvery women needs to have a bag or two of silica gel in her make up purse to stop the powdery make up from curdling.
8. Save Your Jack-O-LanternSimply adding a silica bag to the inside of your jack-o-lantern will extend its shelf life significantly. Nobody wants to smell a rotting pumpkin breaking down on the porch in the fall.
There you have it, 7 fun and useful tips which can make your life easier. Next time you buy something with silica gel bags in it don’t throw them away, they can be quite useful. Can you think of another way you can use these bags, maybe you’re already using them for something we haven’t mentioned? Please share your thoughts and ideas, we can all learn something new.